I’ve noticed over the years (I started recycling, etc. 45 years ago, so lots of years) that environmentalism seems to produce more and more self-righteous folks who decide what you should do and how you should live if you’re a “good environmental citizen” and then look around and judge others on whether they’re “doing it right” or not.
Beyond just pointing fingers at other people, there’s even more finger-pointing about whether governments or corporations are being responsibly green. There’s something about this issue that lends itself to feeling righteous about the right and wrong of it. So even among people who say they’re living by principles of not judging, being compassionate and loving, etc., there’s still a lot of righteous judging when it comes to this issue.
I’ve been thinking a lot about this in the context of how our behavior affects the earth (see earlier post). A couple of threads keep showing up for me. One is about how it affects the world when people by the millions are constantly borderline hysterically repeating over and over “we’re destroying the world”, “the world is dying”, “the air is poisoned”, etc. Does it help to keep affirming those things or does it create more of what is being affirmed? I’ll revisit that one in some future post.
The other thread involves people judging one another (including me eyeing them for doing it…) and the underlying reasons behind such strong feelings of fright and/or outrage. And how all those issues impact the health of Earth.
- Is it only fear of “the end of the world” that drives feelings about this issue? What lies beneath?
- Why the fear that “others” will cause destruction by the doing or not doing of certain things? Do we feel a lack of control in the world? Over our own lives? That others have power over us and what happens to us? What’s the source of feeling powerless?
- Do you offer your own body and health the same intensity of feeling that you feel toward the dis-ease of the earth? If not why not?
- Do you feel the same lack of power or control over your own body that you feel regarding the health of the world?
- Do you feel the same love for yourself that you feel for the earth? Do you feel worthy of being loved that much… by yourself? by others?
So many possible ways to heal with ho’oponopono or whatever method of healing you prefer.
- For all the ways in which I judge others about anything, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you.
- For loving what’s “out there” more than I love myself, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you.
- For the fears within that I haven’t addressed, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you
- For not loving myself as much as I give love to people and things outside me, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you.
- For all the ways in which I do not feel the love around me and for me, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you
- For all that I have not healed within me, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you.
- For all the ways in which I fail to offer love instead of judging, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you